Sunday, December 6, 2020

Stephen Vincent Benét

 

Now that I'm clean again ,

Now I've slept and fed ,

How shall I remember when

I was someone dead ?


Now the balm has worked its art

And the gashes dry 

And the lizard at my heart 

Has a sleepy eye ,


How shall I remember yet

Freezing underground ,

With the wakened lizard set

To the living wound ?


Do not ponder the offence

Nor reject the sore ,

Do not tear the cerements

Flesh may need once more .


Cold comes back and rain comes back

And the lizard , too .

And the burden in the sack , 

May be meant for you .   


Do not play the risen dunce

With unrisen men .

Lazarus was risen once

But earth gaped again .




Selected Works of Stephen Vincent Benét

Volume I : Poetry  (pages 118 - 119)

New York, Farrar & Rinehart, Inc. 1942 



No comments:

Post a Comment